Should You Consider Moving Your Business? Advice from Professional Business Movers
Is it time for a change of scenery? Sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, and it’s not uncommon for businesses to relocate. Whether you’re staying in South Miami, or exploring a whole new market, relocation might be a good choice for your company.
Why Move Your Business?
Businesses cite several reasons for moving to a new location. These factors might inspire you to consider moving your entire business to a new office space, or even to a totally new city or state.
- Labor and workforce issues. Sometimes, you might have trouble finding skilled, qualified workers with the right technical expertise. This can motivate a business to relocate to a different area, like South Miami, that’s more populous and closer to a major metro area. It’s also possible to have the opposite problem: a web developer costs more in San Francisco than in Omaha, Nebraska. High labor costs for certain types of businesses might not be desirable.
- Reaching new markets. A business may simply want access to a new, more promising market. This could mean moving to a larger city, or to a different part of town with different demographics.
- Upgrading equipment or facilities. Sometimes your original office space or storefront just isn’t what you need. As your business grows, you may need to upgrade to a place with space for new equipment, or more space for your growing team of employees. There’s also the issue of upgrading to “nicer” commercial real estate that’s more well-kept, more architecturally appealing, or in a better neighborhood.
- Lowering costs or increasing cash flow. Real estate is more expensive in some areas than others. Even within South Miami, some neighborhoods with commercial zoning might be a lot cheaper than others. Cost is often a big factor in business moving decisions. It’s not only a matter of commercial real estate costs, but also the overall cost of living for you and your employees.
- Quality of life. This is a very hard concept to quantify. We’re talking about things that impact you and your employees, more so than the business itself: access to good public schools, healthcare, the local climate, crime rates, and also cost of living. A really bad location could make it hard to recruit suitable employees.
Making the Move
If you’ve decided that relocating really would benefit you, your company, and your workers, you need to start planning. Business moving is a drawn-out process that takes months from planning to completion. First, you need to find a new location. Whether you’re moving across town, or you’re totally new to South Miami, you need to carefully weigh your options before choosing a space that works for you. It needs a suitable location, especially if your business relies on foot traffic. A web development company that works remotely can hide away in an obscure office, but for a restaurant or a retail shop, location is key. You also need enough space, as well as the right facilities.
Once you’ve chosen a new location, you need to plan the move. We recommend starting this process at least four to six months ahead of time, possibly more if you’re moving to a different city or state. You’ll need to audit and inventory everything inside your business, ideally getting rid of anything you don’t need. Also, don’t forget to give your vendors and clients, notice.
A professional business moving company can help you with the actual transportation on moving day. It’s not a great idea to try to DIY this — you could end up losing or damaging expensive and important equipment. No matter how much rapport you have with your staff, the last thing they want to do is help you haul furniture and boxes around. As the saying goes, “Good friends help you move.” You’re not their good friend, you’re their employer.
Once you’re settled into your new commercial space, you’ll need to update your address in online directory listings, on your business cards, on your website, and anywhere else that’s relevant.
Business Moving Services in South Miami
At Orange Movers, we provide business moving services for local companies in South Miami. To find out more, call us any time.