How to Find Reputable Local Movers in Bay Harbor Islands FL
Moving to a new home in Bay Harbor Islands can be an exciting time. At least a month ahead of time, you’ll need to choose a local moving company to transport boxes and furniture from your old house to the new one. Choosing a good, reputable company is very important.
Moving scams are a real thing, and they’re surprisingly common. In fact, there are websites dedicated to moving scam prevention and awareness. One of the best ways to protect yourself against the risk of fraud is to make sure you’re hiring a company that has a good reputation.
Moving Scams are More Common Than You’d Think
Believe it or not, moving scams do happen, and it’s important to be aware that there’s a risk of fraud. Moving can be stressful, and during the process, people can be more vulnerable than usual. Scammers know this, and there are far too many people out there trying to take advantage of people who are just trying to move to a new home.
There are several types of moving scams, all of which are characterized by fraud or deception in the interest of getting as much money out of you as possible.
- Fake reviews and credentials. Research is part of the process of choosing a moving company. Scammers know this, and so many of them fabricate reviews or even professional credentials to lure unsuspecting people into their trap. If a company has trouble getting good reviews from real customers, it’s definitely a red flag. Recent research has indicated that around 70% of consumers will leave a review for a company if asked. To get a fair picture of a company’s quality, you can look at reviews on third party sites like Yelp as well as reviews on the company’s own website.
- Low-ball estimates. Before you move, local movers will take a close look at what you have, and give you an itemized estimate for the total cost of your move. If someone offers you a price that seems too good to be true, it probably is. This is why it’s advisable to get free non-binding estimates from a few companies before you choose your movers.
- Belongings held hostage. This is one of the most common moving scams, and unfortunately, it’s quite widespread. In this scam, the moving company refuses to turn over your belongings until you pay them an extra fee. To make things worse, valuables have a tendency to disappear when this happens. The scammers will try to intimidate you, but if this happens to you, do not ever hesitate to call the police. What the movers are doing is illegal, and they can be charged with theft.
To avoid falling prey to common forms of fraud, you need to make sure you’re hiring a company with genuine reviews and a good local reputation.
Tips for Choosing a Good Local Moving Company in Bay Harbor Islands
These tips can help you find and choose reputable, trustworthy local movers for your upcoming move.
- Ask around. Word of mouth is one of the most powerful forms of marketing. It’s nearly impossible to fake, and it can’t be artificially created by clever marketers. Positive word of mouth must be earned through good service. One of the best ways to find good local moving companies is to ask friends, family, and neighbors if there’s anyone they recommend.
- Get things in writing. In Florida, movers are required to give you an itemized written estimate. If possible, get a few estimates before you choose a company.
- Avoid common red flags. There are a few red flags that usually indicate either a moving scam, or at least a seedy company. If you’re required to put down a large deposit right away, the company insists on being paid in cash, or you can’t find consistent phone and address information for the company, they might not be legitimate. It’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with Florida statutes that govern household moving services.
- Get information about the company. There are a few things that a real moving company should always be able to produce if asked. This includes their USDOT license number, address, phone number, full company name and DBA (doing business as) names, email addresses, website address, MC license number, and references that you can call.
Local Movers in Bay Harbor Islands
At Orange Movers, we help Bay Harbor Islands residents enjoy a smooth and hassle-free moving experience. To find out more, call us any time, or contact us to get in touch with a helpful representative.