Tips for Eco-Friendly Packing
We all need to do our part to help the environment and that’s not something that should be forgotten when you’re moving. While it’s easy to get caught up in the intricacies of the move, we encourage you to stay mindful of the impact moving will make on the environment.
Here are some tips to help make your move a greener one:
- Substitute cardboard boxes with plastic – Cardboard boxes are typically the go-to item for packing, but consider the trees needed to make them. While we can help you use recycled cardboard, there are also other options available, like recycled plastic bins or crates. As an added bonus, you’ll be able to reuse them for storage!
- Pack with reused or reusable boxes – If you can’t manage to use plastic bins, find used boxes at the store or ask friends for boxes used in their moves. Our company offers a number of free boxes with each move and we can recycle them as well.
- Minimize waste – Avoid unnecessary waste as much as possible. This is another reason to use recyclable materials. We also recycle cardboard boxes and can help you minimize waste from packing material and other items.
- Use environmentally friendly packing materials – Instead of using Styrofoam packing peanuts, plastic wrap and bubble wrap, consider using materials you have that can be repurposed instead. Blankets, comforters, towels, and sheets are all materials that can protect your belongings and won’t need to be thrown out afterwards. Ask us about recycled packing materials as well.
- Scale back – Moving is a great time to reassess how much “stuff” you own. As you’re packing, go through your possessions and make a ‘toss,’ or better yet, a ‘donate’ pile. If you haven’t used certain items in a year or more, donate them and minimize the bulk of your possessions.
A greener move can help the local communities surrounding both your new and old homes. Take a few minutes to consider the steps you wish to make and ask us how we can do our part. Contact us or call 786-453-4340.