5 Basic Tips For a Local Move
The only real difference between a local move and a long distance one is the amount of miles used on the moving van. The same amount of stuff needs to be packed, and the same procedures followed to ensure that moving into your new home in Florida is seamless. These are 5 basic tips that many residents forget when they are moving to a new home nearby:
- Let key people know that you are moving. This list includes; the post office, utility providers, DMV, insurance company, banks, credit card companies, your boss, doctor, dentist, subscriptions, school and your friends.
- Be organized in your packing. There is no guarantee that you are going to be able to unpack everything in just one day, unless you have a full service moving contract. If not, take the extra time needed to be organized in your packing to save time and stress when you have moved into your new home.
- Start packing before moving day. Just because the trip itself is short, doesn’t mean you are going to have extra time to pack. Start as early as possible with the rooms and things you don’t immediately need, and have everything in boxes and ready to go for the actual moving day. Don’t forget to label these boxes to make the unpacking part just as easy.
- Hire a local moving company in southern Florida. Just because you are only moving across town doesn’t mean that your HDTV should be transported in the back seat of your Nissan. Consider the number of trips you’ll have to take (and the gas spent), along with your time and possible damage to your stuff before you just dismiss the value of using a moving company for a local move.
- Take the time to get to know your new surroundings. The move may be local, but your neighbors are new to you. So is the shopping center and the park down the street. Treat this like a completely new neighborhood to explore and flourish in.
Bonus Tip: Have a garage sale for those items you don’t want. A local move does not mean you have to bring it all with you. Use this time to get rid of belongings you no longer need, and make a little spending money at the same time.
There are some corners you can cut when making a local move, like throwing your clothes from the closet across the back seat of your car, but most of the same steps will still exist. Start planning for your local move as soon as possible, and you will be able to realistically decide which steps have to be followed, and which ones you can amend to make the day less stressful.